Thursday, May 28, 2015

Night Visitor


 




    I felt a weight on my chest and woke in the dark, gasping for air. Two glowing golden eyes stared calmly into mine. It was my cat, Stormie.
  Stormie was a solitary creature, sort of a "feed me and leave me alone" feline, the antithesis of her name. For her to climb on me and wake me in the middle of the night was odd.
  I tried to nudge her off, but she dug her claws into the quilt and wouldn't budge. Her eyes peered into mine, never blinking. She wasn't purring, just gagging me with her fishy breath in my unprotected nostrils.
  I determined to move out from under her. I didn't care about cat communication, but I did want to get back to sleep. Maybe she needed water or the basement door was shut so she couldn't get to the litter box. What was Stormie trying to tell me?
  Then I heard a floorboard creak on the stairs.  I stopped breathing, listening for the sound to repeat itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment