Friday, March 7, 2014

To Blog or Not to Blog?

I am not a blogger (plus I don't misquote Shakespeare very well) but I've been told by other authors that people like to read blogs. So I need to keep it new and fresh, right? What should I blog about? It's kind of a gray area since the things I find interesting, like politics, volunteer work, and adoption, would change the tone of my blog. So I should blog about books and writing books? Yes, that's with a question mark.

What's so interesting about books? My father was a library director so I grew up in a book-loving environment. My family was boring. A typical night at home for the Meldroms was each person in his/her own room reading a book. I was one of those kids who stayed up late reading with a flashlight under the covers.Yeah, that's about as exciting as watching the grass grow.

However, now that I have my own family, I'm seeing a huge difference in the creativity/imagination levels of my kids who like to read vs my kids who prefer to stare at a screen. Maybe being a book junkie as a kid wasn't such a bad thing. Books, to me, are never boring, and I have the jam-packed bookcases to prove it.

I suppose giving our kids Kindles and downloading lots of books would be a way to encourage reading since it would still allow them to stare at a screen. What do you think of that theory? Personally, I like the feel of a book in my hands. I love the smell of new paper. I like turning pages. I don't think I'll ever buy a Kindle unless I suddenly had to do a lot of traveling because that would give me reading material without taking up so much luggage space.

Please see the bottom of my blog for authors I read and recommend in the genre of young adult science fiction.

So that was my blog post about reading. I guess I should have apologized in advance for boring you. Next topic: writing and the lost art of cursive. Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment