Friday, November 1, 2013

It's Thanksgiving all month long

I have a tradition of using November as a time to reflect on the people and things I am thankful for. I find it's a nice mental break from the daily insanity, and puts life into perspective. The happiest people I know -- you know the ones I mean, the ones who practically glow because they're so upbeat -- are grateful people. Their lives may be difficult, but they always see the glass half full. For someone like me who tends to be cynical (yes, really!), a month to reflect and see the bright side of life is a way to nurture my soul. This doesn't come naturally for me; I have to work hard to have an "attitude of gratitude." I should actually do this several times a year, but I usually don't think about it until I turn the calendar to November.

I have so much to be grateful for, so many blessings in my life I probably don't deserve. There are too many to list (without putting you to sleep, at least) so I will try to post to my blog more often this month so I can share a few of them.

I am thankful for my Savior Jesus Christ. I'm thankful for my husband of 25 years, and for my six amazing children -- four birth sons and two adopted daughters. And I'm excited to be gaining a daughter-in-law and a grandson in January when my oldest son gets married. I am thankful to live in a free country. Being extremely political, I'll spare you an essay on the Constitution and Bill of Rights (although everyone should take the time to read and understand them). I'm thankful to be healthy, educated, and financially stable, thanks to my husband's job which allows me to stay at home with our kids and write as much as I want.

Join me in practicing an attitude of gratitude this month, and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment